From Angie’s List –
Before the cold weather hits, experts recommend having a professional service your furnace to keep it in good running order and prevent it from failing when you need it most.
Heating, ventilation and air conditioning experts say annual furnace inspection and service will prolong the life of the system, save energy and decrease health risks.
Benefits of a furnace inspection
HVAC experts say up to 75 percent of no-heat calls in the winter are related to a lack of maintenance. Left unserviced, a furnace can stop working suddenly, leaving your family in the cold.
It can also be a health hazard. Experts say a furnace inspection can reveal carbon monoxide leaks, which are hard to detect because the gas is colorless and odorless. Carbon monoxide can lead to headaches, dizziness, nausea and even death. An estimated 500 people die each year, and 15,000 people are taken to emergency rooms, because of exposure.
Not maintaining your furnace — whether it’s gas or electric — can cause it to run less efficiently, making it work even harder, therefore increasing your monthly energy bills, experts say.
Other service checks include:
- Checking the thermostat settings to make sure the system is properly running.
- Inspecting electrical connections and testing voltage on the system components to prevent any component failure in the future.
- Lubricating moving parts.
- Inspecting the condensate drain so it’s not obstructed.
- Checking system start-up and shutdown controls for proper operations, as well as changing the filter.
Contact Putnam Mechanical at 704-799-3665 to schedule your furnace inspection today!